(1) In most big cities in the world, traffic has become a serious problem. (2) Traffic jam takes place, especially in rush hours. (3) There are simply too many cars. (4) This brings about some unexpected effects.
(5) Traffic in Hongkong can be so bad that a vehicle moves along at only 10 KPH, slower than bicycle speed. (6) In Manila, traffic often stops completely. (7) This generates so much exhaust that Manila is now one of the world’s most polluted cities. (8) In Bangkok, children get up at 4 or 5 AM to make it to school by 9:00. (9) They have breakfast in the car or bus.
(10) The number of cars in the world doubled between 1970 and 1990. (11) Currently, there are around 600 million vehicles on roads designed for half that many. (12) The number of cars is expected to double again over the next 20 – 40 years. (13) More roads are being built, but there is no way there can ever be enough roads to handle all these cars.
(14) The wasted fuel from the vehicles causes pollution. (15) The pollution destroys the environment in a number of ways. (16) It also affects personal health. (17) More and more people in large cities suffer from asthma and other breathing disorders than ever before. (18) It is not only humans who suffer. (19) A recent study in Britain repots that birds are losing their hearing because of the traffic noise; as a result, they are unable to sing properly.
(20) No one argues that traffic has become a big problem. (21) We need to find a solution to the world’s traffic jams; otherwise, we will still suffer from diseases.
Choose the best answer by crossing (X) the letter A, B, C, or D based on the text above!
1. What does the passage mainly discuss?
a. The wasted fuel from the vehicles causes pollution.
b. Traffic is a serious problem in most big cities.
c. The number of cars in the world increase every year.
d. People face many problems in their live.
2. Based on the text, these are the reason why traffic jam become a serious problem in most big city, except...
a. The wasted fuel from the vehicles causes pollution
b. The traffic often stops completely
c. The number of cars increase every year
d. The number of cars in the world doubled between 1970 and 1990
3. The word “it” in paragraph four line 2 refers to.....
c. Wasted fuel
4. The pollution destroys the environment in a number of ways. (Paragraph 4).
The closed meaning of the underlined word in the sentence is, except....
5. The problem of traffic jam causes polution for environment,
We should prevent it before it’s getting worse.
The most appropriate conjunction for connecting two sentences above is......